Starting February 2019 all Physician and Clinical Assistants in Manitoba must track and comply with College of Physician and Surgeons of Manitoba (CPSM) License Regulations to track professional development on an ongoing basis.
This is done via third party organizations that have online tracking capabilities and will report your ongoing progress to the CPSM. PCAM does not independently endorse any one third party organization however there are obvious benefits to Physician Assistants (PA) to continue tracking their CPD through the Canadian Association of Physician Assistants (CAPA) as the majority of you already do. Also, for Clinical Assistants (CA) the cheapest options is through CAPA ($259/year 2022-2023) as you would get access to the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (Royal College) CPD tracking tool as well as access to the Professional Liability Insurance Group Plan benefit.
PCAM has researched the following three options that exist for both PAs and CAs:
1. The College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC) Mainpro+ program
- Approx $600/year
- Require a minimum of 25 credits yearly and ca be a combination of certified or non-certified. The minimum is 250 credits, 125 of which must be certified.
- Tutorial link
- Questions – Contact Mainpro+ team at 1-800-387-6197 ext. 560
2. The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Program and Mainport ePortfolio Tool
Through an agreement between the Canadian Association of Physician Assistants (CAPA) and the Royal College, CAPA members can use the MOC Program and MAINPORT ePortfolio tool to track their CPD. This in turn enables them to meet the requirements for maintaining CAPA’s Canadian Certified Physician Assistant (CCPA) certification designation and adhering to CPSM’s License Regulations. To become a CAPA member and access the MOC Program, please register online at www.capa-acam.ca/register/ or contact email@example.com for questions.
For those who are not eligible for CAPA membership, participation in the MOC Program is possible as follows:
- Approx $630/year
- Requires 40 credits yearly, 400 in 5 years and 25 per section in 5 years
3. The Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
Member Dues are annually posted to the CAPA website.
- For 2022-2023 – $259/year for Clinical Assistants (Non-Member CPD tracking tool member category)
- For 2022-2023 – $765/year for Physician Assistants (Regular, Sustained, New Grad member categories)
- Uses Royal College Mainport ePortfolio program with same credit requirements.
Clincal Assistants: If you choose to track your CPD through CAPA, below are the steps to follow.
Go to https://capa-acam.ca/register/ to become a CAPA member.
- Select “Non-PA CPD Tracking Tool” as your membership type.
- Once your CAPA membership registration is complete; send your gender and DOB to firstname.lastname@example.org and a request to create your CPD Tracking Tool profile will be sent by CAPA to the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (The Royal College).